Monday, April 13, 2009

Spivak's view on Frankenstein

I found Spivak's portion on Frankenstein within Three Women's Texts and a Critique of Imperialism to be particularly interesting. I believe I was drawn to this because since we have been reading essays on Frankenstein I felt capable of understanding both the theoretical aspects, and plot references of Spivak's argument. The concept of Frankenstein attempting to create an "artifical womb" (Spivak, 847) with his laboratory, and the assertion that "his real competitor is...woman as the maker of the child" (Spivak, 847) is something that I had not thought of or read before, but I do like as an interpretation. Also having been exposed to some of the controversy around which Shelley had the most authorial impact on Frankenstein, this makes me wonder further if there was specific competition within the Shelley's marriage. Spivak's notion of a woman's dual role is compared well to Said's duality within women as well revolving around sexual reproduction and moral guidance. Overall, Spivak sums up what I find to be most interesting by stating that "In Shelley's view, man's hubris as soul maker both usurps the place of God and attempts-vainly-to sublate woman's physiological prerogative" (Spivak, 848). Within this all, I think I should contemplate more about where this desire stems from within Frankenstein. Maybe since his mother died young he feels that it is a part of his life that is gone and therefore must be recreated, but I feel this needs further examination of the text and investigation of Spivak's theory in more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment